Re: Upgrading sound systems

> From quattro-owner@swiss.ans.net Tue Aug 16 12:06:47 1994
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 09:28:04 -0600
> To: quattro@swiss.ans.net
> From: bbell@csn.net (Bruce Bell)
> Subject: Re: Upgrading sound systems
> Sender: quattro-owner@swiss.ans.net
> >>Some of us are not into locally produced sounds (tape or CD) but would
> >>rather be able to get decent radio reception.  Living and traveling in what,
> >>at best, could be called a fringe area, I get absolutely lousy FM reception.
> >>The culprit is, I believe, that abysmally poor antenna which is part of the
> >>windshield.
> >
> >Good luck in West Virginia -- the culprit is far more than you poor antenna
> >(Its the mountains!!)
> >
> I also live in a fringe area and have tried to find a decent solution for
> years. My biggest problem though is not signal strength, but "multipath"
> that is same signal bounces from different directions with slightly
> different timming. (ruins the stereo imaging) Early on I tries an amplified
> Fuba antenna in my early Jetta with no "percieved" difference in reception.
> I believe Fuba makes most of the antenna's for VW and Audi.  My second
> attempt was installing my sons Sony CD player (CDX5260) in the 4000CSQ. This
> did make a little difference. I Will be returning that deck to him soon and
> have been considering the newer Sonys which claim more FM sensitvity 8dbf vs
> 12 or one of the Pioneer supertuner IV units.

Indeed, multipath is often the biggest problem in FM reception, and
that's probably why Audi went to the dual antenna diversity system.
This eliminates quite a bit of the so-called "picket-fencing" effect.
Recent tests performed by auto, motor, und sport showed that
German-made radios usually have the edge in radio reception, while
top-of-the-line Japanese units are usually better in the tape player

So if one is really serious about radio reception, it's hard to beat a
Blaupunkt or a Becker, although the latter are horrendously expensive,
but last forever.  Just make sure that the Blaupunkt is in fact a
German-made model and not one of the cheaper ones.  I once owned one of
the Japanese-made ones and it had terrible radio reception.
Fortunately, it was stolen.

John Greenstreet, Senior Engineer           (jgreenst@motown.ge.com)
Martin Marietta Government Electronic Systems    Moorestown NJ 08057
WPI Class of '75, Temple Class of '94

My new car history:
1972     1975       1978      1982       1986        1989      1992
 VW  ->   VW    ->  Audi  ->  Audi  -> Mercedes -> Mercedes -> Audi
SBug   Scirocco   Fox GTI     4000S    190E 2.3    190E 2.6    100CS

POSSLQ's* new car history:
         1978       1981       1985      1988        1990      1993
       Triumph ->  Toyota ->  Toyota  ->  VW    ->   Audi   -> Audi
       Spitfire    Tercel     Corolla   Jetta GL      80       90S

*POSSLQ = Person of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters
Note: All Audis and Mercedes above were sold to friends or family.