RE: Random Questions

>A month and a half ago, an '86 Audi 5000CST came into my life.  So far, I've
>been very happy with it.  I've been reading this list on and off for about
>three weeks now and have a few questions/problems which I would like to
>-- The power windows work intermittently.  I know this is a common problem, but
>   what can I do to fix it?  Do the switches replace easily?

Just buy new switches; they just pop out..

>-- Within the last two weeks, the 'Miles left' function on the computer has
>   started jumping around quite a bit.  On half a tank, the display will
>   sometimes show 200 mi. and then work it's way up to 2000 mi. and back down
>   again (2000 mi. on 1/2 a tank?? Pretty good mpg!) The average mpg stays
>   around 21 mpg.  Does anyone know what causes this?  This is similar to
>   another post, sorry for the redundancy.

No idea on this one...

>-- Lastly, (for now) since this is my first turbo car, I'd like to know some
>   maintainance basics.  What about turbo timers?  Are they worth the money?
>   Are they really necessary on non-performance autos?  Which ones are good?
>   The guy I bought the car from said I could expect to replace/rebuild the
>   turbo in about a year.  Is it common for the turbos to go out in this model?

Don't worry about the turbo.  It's water cooled, and you should never have any
problems with it. There's really nothing special to do except change the oil
and filter every 3000-5000 miles. I have over 250000 on mine (same year) and
I've never had any turbo trouble.

You *may* want to think about having your engine computer modified to get more
power.  Your car can easily put out 50 more HP.