Re: Check Engine Light

Having reviewed the (unfortunately) thick file of repair records for my
5000 TQ wagon, I discovered what I wrote earlier was in error--the problem
was traced to the input air temperature sensor, located at the intercooler
output, not the knock sensor.  The mechanic tracked it down using the
engine control unit's built-in diagnostic mode; functionality of the sensor
itself was easily checked with an ohmmeter.  The procedure and error codes
are described in the Bently manual, which I purchased immediately after
this incident (I had only owned the car ~1 month when this happened.)

Good luck,

 Greg Anderson
 '88 5000CSTQ Wagon
 '75 BMW 3.0Si