RE: re: Electric problem

I second the idea to look at the wiring harness where it enters the trunk lid.
the harness is covered with black cloth tape.  Pull a few inches out of the
trunk, then unwrap the tape to expose the wires.  You'll probably see them all
mushed and broken.  I also have an 86 5000CS TQ.  This happened to my car, two
friends (the same year), and at least one other person from this list.  CHECK

Good luck,