New fuel consumption (was "Starting Problems")

David Wagner says:
> Bob, all:
> My wife and I both have noticed at 15% mileage decrease exactly
> coinciding with the mandatory use of them there fancy new
> anti-winter-pollution items.
> Anyone else here in Mass/New England???
> regards
> David
> '90 Q-Coupe
> '94 90S

Well, I too have noticed a decrease, also exactly coinciding with
the new "oxygenated" fuel.
Historically my '91 Coupe has got the following miles per gallon
on my daily commute (40 miles, generally cruising at 70-75mph):
   Summer (A/C on) - about 23/25mpg
   Winter (A/C off, outsied temp 25 to 40 degrees) - about 22/23mpg
   Winter (A/C off, outside temp 5 to 25 degrees) - about 20/21mpg
   Winter (A/C off, outside temp < 5 degrees) - about 19mpg

This winter with temperatures predominantly in the 25 to 40 range,
I am getting about 21mpg (compared to 22/23mpg previously).
I guess that is about a 5-8% decrease.
Maybe the decrease is worse in heavier, stop and go traffic.

I have also noticed a strong fuel smell in my garage for several
minutes after turning off the engine. This also coincided with
using the new fuels.

Chris Palmer                                "Ashes to ashes,
Data General Corporation                     dust to dust,
Enterprise Solutions Engineering Division    If Lillee don't get you,
chris_palmer@dg.com                          Thommo must!"