General questions on 82 4000s

   As the new owner of a 4000s, I hope that you'll pardon these non-q
questions... but first some background.
   I purchased this car on Friday from a fellow quattro lister.  The body
and interior are in _very_ good shape for an 82.  The usual cracked dash and
about three or four minor rust spots.  It was advertised as a no-start with
a few possible mechanical problems and leaking valve stem seals.  Many of
the mechanical problems didn't actually exist, and the car started with a
jump.  A steal really.  Not quite a ur-Q for $100, but I'm happy.

   So, now the questions.  After a brief inspection, oil and tranny fluid
change, I took the car round trip from Concord NH to Rochester NY for a
 -albeit long- shake down run.  (I did take a shorter one first.)  Things I
have noticed that actually cause concern mostly involve the engine.  The 1.7
4cyl that came with these cars have a 3.5 qt. oil capacity.  I noticed the
oil light coming on briefly several times.
   * Hard right turns and bumps that put your stomach in your throat would
trip the light. No problem typical oil starvation due to lack of baffling.
   * If I was in fifth gear, about 2200 RPM and trying to accelerate, the
light would begin to come on.  Dim at first with a little/quiet buzzer
growing brighter/louder if I continued without downshifting.  This scenario
holds for other gears.
   So right now I'm wondering if my oil pump isn't up to snuff, if I have
blockage in the engine, or if the leaking valve stem seals could cause these
   Are there any options (diff. oil pan etc.) to increase my oil capacity?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Afterthought:  I have an '84 1.8l GTI (JH) motor waiting to be rebuilt.  I
have thought about replacing the 1.7 this summer... thoughts on this swap.