Re: Bad Temp/Oil sensors?

Hairy green toads from Mars made Brooks Ellis say:
>    I have a 1990 100 Q 5spd /2.3l I5..blah blah anyway..
> It seems that the pressure has been low for a while - It stays about 1.8
> to 2.2 the whole time...Sometimes when I do a cold start, it gets to 2+ bar.
> I have also noticed a different problem in the last couple of weeks with
> my engine (coolant?) temperature gauge. Every so often it reads 0.. or
> less than 0. It will do this on cold starts, or if I have had it running
> for two hours - doesn't really matter. My engine has also been running
> somewhat hot recently - If I sit at a light for 30 seconds plus, my
> radiator fan will probably kick on...then it takes a long time to cool down.

I am having the same oil pressure problem you are, in my '89 100Q.
I think what's happening is that the sudden warm weather is not
agreeing with the 10W30 winter oil in my crankcase. I am going to
change oil and filter this week, to see if it helps. I have noticed
that if the morning is cold (<25 degrees), my pressure is better.

As for the temp gauge, Angela's 90Q20V has this problem. I'm pretty
sure the sensor is bad. This sensor does *not* control the overheat
fans, so there's no worry there. It *does* control the engine mgmt
computer, so her car runs poorly when the gauge reads 0. The engine
thinks it's cold and runs too rich and conservative to "warm up".

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)			duane@zk3.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation		(603)-881-1294
110 Spit Brook Road			http://www.zk3.dec.com/~duane
M/S ZKO3-3/U14
Nashua, NH    03062-2698

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's warm enough to go outside.