Ur-quattro rallye lights...?

To All,
re: Ur-quattro rallye lights

This is my first set of technical questions
on-line!  Fellow Ur-quattro owners &
other interested parties... please help....

Let's address what I've done so far to my beast...

I have just finished installing a set of
Hella single lens
 flush '78-'83 Audi 80
H4 euro headlights with 60/55w bulbs on
my Mars red1983 Ur-quattro w/amber
side markers.

I used from the previous165mm Hella H4
headlamp low beam wiring harness for the
new 1 piece euro lights, and wired into my
existing (very small) side markers for the
new wrap-around side amber lenses, leaving
the "old 4 headlamp" high beam wire receptical
available... hhmmm.....and not interfering
with the small bumper turn indicators.

I would like to have the factory rallye look,( I know,
the factory cars had the hi-beams removed with
larger more forward grill) with the addition of
only two round rallye style lights, instead of the

1. Majorly improved low beam light and
super amber side lights! (there almost
as bright as the headlights, good for the
fog and snow up in Lake Tahoe, I guess).

2. Now I have an unused "Hi-beam" receptical,

3. Improved aerodynamics, but maybe not
as much airflow to the airbox as with the
original 4 headlights?

4. I want, I want, I want.....
Just received the new Hella '94-'95 catalogue
and have lots of.....rallye lights!

Hella good stuff...
The 1000P (parabolic reflector), 2000P & new 3000FF (free form reflector)
look like possibilities.
Here are some specs reprinted from Hella's new

*The 3000's are large. Side profile looks are very
conical in shape, clean and have a new two point "molly
mounting system".  8-11/16" dia., but provide 50%
more light than the 2000's and are 25% lighter
(FF technology and plastic casing).

They are available in:
-Fog lamp (P) 55W 750ft.
-Driving lampFF 55W 7000ft.
-Pencil beam driving lampFF100W 18270ft.
-Euro beam lampFF 100W 13300ft.
-Wide-angle cornering lampFF 100W 1000ft.

*The 2000's look bulky from the side, are 8-7/8" dia.,
parabolic reflectors only.
They are available in:
-Fog lamp 55W 750ft.
-Driving lamp 55W 7000ft.
-Pencil beam driving lamp 100W 18270ft.
-Euro beam lamp 100W 13300ft.
-Wide-angle cornering lamp 100W 1000ft.

*The 1000's look clean & light, but only come in fog
lamp & driving lamp configurations, 550ft. and 7500ft.
respectively. (12V55W). 7 3/8" dia.  The 1000's do
come in a kit form, as the other two do not.

The 500's are nice lights, had them on my old
4000s quattro, work very well, but don't say rallye
on them....wwhhaa.  Fog & driving lamp config., 500ft.,
& 5900ft. I've got the Coupe now, need to step up some.

1. 1000's, 2000's or 3000's? (Go for the big boys or
   stay conserv. and keep them below the hood?).

Mounting locations
2. Where do I mount these fatty's
 - drill holes in my non-euro bumper?, ouch...
 - mount 1/8 x 1.5"x about 8" steel straps in
    between the top of the bumper and trim flap
    just below the grill? (mounting the strap some-
    where behind the plastic grill)
 - into the trim flap
 - should I also use turnbuckles fastened to
    the grill to stop vibrations?
 - "(just buy an old factory A1 Coupe rallye car?
    with all kinds of lights....ha, I have that don't I)?"

3. Will my old hi-beam recepticals power the 55W?

4. If using 100W I will have to relay, or should I
   anyway for 55W or 100W?

My choice is to go with the 1000's. What do you
guys think?  I am totally open for comments....
(I will list the part #s for my headlight transform-
 ation next chat.)

Until next time,

Thompson Smith <Thompers@aol.com>
-1983 Ur-quattro (CA License, "RLY RACR")
 w/ 7" fuchs sport rims, tons of factory
 audi sport decals....etc, etc... &
-1986 5000CS turbo quattro, pearl wht.