DISC: Honda & Audi

> Tak Cheung said:
> I wonder what's the Honda's equivalent before there was a Honda...I would
> say VW/Audi :)....
IMO I have noticed small details over the years that make me wonder if Honda
doesn't actually look to Audi for ideas.  It started when I noticed that the
Honda accord sedans had similar tail treatments to my '78 Fox.  It got to the
point where I misidentified them from a distance as Audis.  The styling of
all cars came to look a lot like the aerodynamic 5000 design, but it seemed
to me that Hondas had the most faithfully represented lines.  When Honda came
out with the Vigor, they switched from a transverse FWD design to a longitud-
inal one, and added a cylinder!  I've never looked under the hood of one, but
I expect it to look rather familiar.  Honda did improve upon the design by
taking the power off the middle of the crankshaft to help with weight bal-
ance.  The one that finally convinced me was a sticker I saw in the rear
quarter window behind the driver's of an Acura (Integra?).  It showed a set
of four awards that the car won ... each one was circular, and they overlap-
ped just a little bit ... Audi rings!  I'll bet if we dug deep enough we'd
find some deeply hidden corporate connection between the two companies.

Steve Buchholz

How do you say "Vorsprung durch technik" in Japanese?