RE: Why not a newsgroup?

On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, Bob D'Amato wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, Robert Phillips wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, LeDuc, Eugene A. wrote:
> >
> > > While I agree that a newsgroup would increase the noise... a moderated group
> > > would give us the best of both worlds (IMHO) but who would moderate??? a
> > > large job no doubt!!!
> >
> > Moderated group hell!  We're not that big that we need someone to look
> > after us.  I mean, we're adults here right?
> Ummm... can you define Adults?? Im not sure I qualify yet... Im the right
> age, but....!
I think the moderated list proposal was for the usenet group that was pro-
posed.  It is interesting to note that a very similar thread is running on
the BMW motorcycle list.  It sounds like they will decide to keep the major-
domo style list and add a moderated usenet list.  Somehow the two will be
tied together ... I don't know the details.  I don't want to sound like the
Church Lady, but in a way I like the informal way that I found out about
the quattro list.  I posted a request for information from r.a.vw and some-
one told me about the list.  I don't have time to even look at the usenet
any more.  I'd like to think that we are interested in more than just spam-
ming, getting our "electronic DNA" spread around the world.  I subscribe
to the quattro list to get information for myself from those on the list
who have tried things I'd like to try and done things I'd like to do; as
well as to provide whatever assistance I can to the rest of the list.  I'm
concerned that the quattro list would lose utility to me if it were con-
verted to a usenet group and I seriously doubt I would have time to keep
as close tabs on what was posted.  Before I found quattro I did get useful
info from r.a.vw, but it took a lot more work.  Maybe that wouldn't happen
with r.a.m.audi (or whatever) and maybe I'm just an old fart that is afraid
of change.  Who knows?

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)

... still thinking it's probably a bad idea ...