Re: Bushings

Hairy green toads from Mars made Daniel Hussey say:

>      Andrew,
>      I'm going to redo the entire suspension on my '88 Audi 5000CSTQ this
> summer and I'm thinking performance, Performance, PERFORMANCE! Get the picture.
> I wanted to see if anyone made nylon, polyuerethane, or Deralin performance
> suspension bushings for this car?  If not I was wondering how to obtain these
> materials, or are there people that can custom make them?  And how much would
> that cost?  I think $450 is a lot for just OEM stuff!  Does that price
> include installation, and how hard is that procedure?
> Any help would be appreciated.

There are rather a lot of bushings underneath a 5000/100/200.
What I'm getting are:

	L/R transaxle to frame mounts	$12.36 x 2
	front subframe bushings		$38.03 x 2, $21.15 x 2
	upper tower (strut) bearing	$30.18 x 2
	sway bar bushings		$5.85  x 2
	spindle-arm RCA(*) bushings	$33.21 x 4
	front pivot RCA(*) bushings	$44.96 x 2
	inner pivot RCA(*) bushings	$10.31 x 2
	TOTAL:				$458.52 plus shipping

* - RCA = Rear Control Arm

This represents virtually every bushing in/under the car. I am
not replacing the engine mounts (they look OK), or some of the
front tie-rod bushings.  Labor is $300-$400 (8-10 hours).

I couldn't find any conclusive evidence that urethane or nylon would
buy me enough to be worth the search or price. If you want PERFORMANCE
at any cost, maybe....

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)			duane@zk3.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation		(603)-881-1294
110 Spit Brook Road			http://www.zk3.dec.com/~duane
M/S ZKO3-3/U14
Nashua, NH    03062-2698

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's too heavy to care.