Re: Salutation, and headlights

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Pierre Villiard wrote:

>  My name is Pierre, I'm a newcomer to this list as well as to the club of
> Audi drivers. I'm presently driving a '92 S4 Quattro that I find great,

Bonjour Pierre,  Welcome to the Quattro list.  We had a well needed
scolding last week for being too insensitive to newcomers' needs, so I'll
be the first to try to answer your questions.

> except maybe for the headlight system, especially on lowbeams. (Adjustments
> were checked, and they're ok.)
>  Is this due to the type of headlight system?  Has anyone else felt that

There has also been a vigorous discussion lately on Audi headlights, but
it has been aimed (no pun intended :-) at the 5000/4000 series cars.
Noone that I know of has complained about the S4 headlights.  Those have
 projector beam low beams don't they? (or are the proj beams on the
highs?)  I guess I thought they were good.  You might try to increase the
wattage of the bulbs.

	You might check the archives to catch up on the recent lighting

> the lowbeams provided rather weak lighting on this model?  If so, any idea
> on the best way to correct the problem, apart from adding the foglights on
> country roads when reasonably good sight ahead is needed?

If the fogs really do make it easier to see, then use them.  It _is_
legal even though some will get upset at you and call you a Bimmer Yuppy.

	Another option would be to add something like Hella's Auxiliary
low beam.  Eric Fletcher (STEADIRIC@AOL.COM) has these, adn likes them.

>  Besides, something else puzzles me: the Owner's Manual recommends H1 55 W
> lamps for both highbeam & lowbeam headlights, and H3 55 W for foglights.

That does sound a little weird.  I'll let the other S4 owners address
that issue.

Graydon D. Stuckey
Flint, Michigan   USA
'86 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro, GDS Racing Stage II
'85 Mazda RX7 GS 12A-leaning-towards-a-13B-soon