Re: Crap & Drivel (tm) Station Wagon Review

Not wishing to drag out the C&D discussion, but we need clarification here.

Brett said:
> Consider this for a fact: the 850 Turbo has MSRP of about 25k-30k.  The
> Audi, as you say, is in the "40k range".  Ah, the Volvo has at least a
> 10-15k advantage over the Audi.

This is NOT a fact. The normally aspirated 850 wagon (automatic) has an
MSRP of about $28K.

The 850 Turbo wagon has an INVOICE cost of about $31K and an MSRP
of about $34.5K. Add Climate Control and Power Drivers seat to bring
it to about the same level as an A6 and you have an MSRP of about $35.5K.
Add Traction Control and you are over $36K.

The A6Q wagon has an invoice of about $31K and MSRP of about $36K.

So there is very little price difference, and I think you could probably
get a bigger discount on an A6Q than on a 850 Turbo right now.

The 850T is certainly fast, and the A6Q is certainly slow. Maybe if
Audi had a 1996 A6Q with 5speed stick it might perform better. But why
should they bother when only 5% (I believe) of A6s sold with stick in 1995.

But the 850 doesn't come close to the A6 (or A4) in build quality.
And it doesn't have Quattro.

Chris Palmer                                "Ashes to ashes,
Data General Corporation                     dust to dust,
Enterprise Solutions Engineering Division    If Lillee don't get you,
chris_palmer@dg.com                          Thommo must!"