Re: Heel & Toe technique

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Brendan Rudack wrote:

> > > 	I have always used the ball of my foot on the throttle and the heel
> > > on the brake, from my RX7 days.  When I got into the Quattro, it took
> > > about two days to get used to the new driving position, and the
> > > responsiveness of the engine to blips, but it works just fine now.
> >
> > Isnt that backwards??? Ol' Skip Barber taught me to have the heel on the
> > throttle...
> > Bob
> >It sounds backwards to me also.  The brakes are much easier to modulate
> with the ball of your foot than your heel.
> Brendan Rudack

I agree, but I also think that it is very difficult to blip the throttle
with any accuracy with the heel since is the faster motion of the two That
is why I brake with my heel, and blip with my toe.  Braking is mostly
non-motion, constant pressure, whereas blipping is a quick motion which
must be done while braking, without disturbing the braking pressure.

	I suppose you could be ambidextrous, or opposite footed, but that
is the way I've learned to do it.

Graydon D. Stuckey
Flint, Michigan   USA
'86 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro, GDS Racing Stage II
'85 Mazda RX7 GS 12A-leaning-towards-a-13B-soon