Re: 91 200'isms

On Mar 15,  3:23pm, Eliot Lim wrote:
> Subject: Re: 91 200'isms
> On 15 Mar 1996, Joe Yakubik wrote:
> > hits 1.7 bar on a daily basis @ 2000 ft altitude; 1.8 bar nearer to sea
> perhaps this has been a long time misconception of mine, but i always
> thought that turbos would produce the same manifold intake pressure
> regardless of altitude..

	This would be true (if *I* understand it correctly, of course!)
	if your compressor had enough capacity.  I believe this is usually
	*not* the case: manifold pressure may be wastegate limited at
	sea-level, but get into the mountains, and the turbo running full-tilt
	will still not trigger the wastegate.

	Presumably (as mentioned in a previous thread), making a turbo
	larger would give it enough excess capacity to maintain maximum
	boost at any altitude, but that would result in ridiculous turbo lag

Arun Rao
1001 W. Cutting Blvd.
Pt. Richmond, CA 94804