drive shaft seal

Greetings ya,ll (just practicing for the Olympics!)

My 89 200tq sedan has a noise coming from the middle of the car when i
let off the gas at high rpm, it also seems to be run harder at 4000+
rpm's than the 89 200tqw i just purchased.  There is definately a
difference between the two and the wagon is smoother.

My shop said the sedan's drive shaft seal is worn.  Are those types of
sounds characteristic of a drive shaft problem.  If so, is this
something I can live with until it needs a new clutch and do both jobs
at the same time?  Is replacing the seal the appropriate procedure, or
does one need to rebuild or by used drive shaft?

89 200tq