Re: Bad vibes

On May 21,  3:13pm, Chris Newbold wrote:
> Subject: Bad vibes

> Given a cold car and a cool, rainy day (wet roads and
> damp car) the steering wheel will shake, as if the front
> wheels were badly out of balance, when the car is
> driven at about 63 MPH. The shaking will last anywhere
> from 10 sec. to several minutes, and then subside, not
> to return until the car is cold again. If I speed up
> or slow down, the shaking increases (or decreases) in
> frequency slightly, but vanishes below 60 or above 65.

	My bet would be that it has something to do with
	your CV joints.  Last year, I had a rock (or something:
	I never found out) caught in the CV joint which
	got in their via a ripped boot. The symptoms were
	identical to what you're describing except that they
	occurred at lower speeds, too. By the time I got the
	car into a garage, the symptom was *gone* without a
	trace. I made sure the joint was OK and replaced the
	boot -- no problem in 18 months or so.

	A fellow netter ( I forget who it was) also described
	a similar problem that he had at the time: water would
	freeze inside the boot and cause all sorts of problems --
	and disappear completely when it got warm.  I doubt if
	it's that cold this time of the year (don't know where you
	live, though), but it's another data point.

	Hope that helps!

Arun Rao
Pixar Animation Studios
1001 W. Cutting Blvd.