Re: Strut Insert Removal

> From:          AUDIDUDI@delphi.com
> Date:          Sun, 02 Jun 1996 23:10:13 -0500 (EST)
> Subject:       Re: Strut Insert Removal
> To:            zing@ivory.lm.com, QUATTRO@coimbra.ans.net

> > What I did to remove the strut is this. I mounted the strut housing in
> > the vise VERY firmly and used a couple of strut top nuts and wrench
> > between them. I picked up the 4lbs sledge hammer and went to town. I got
> > it out ok in the end but it was tough because the housing was twisted.
> I stopped by Allan's to see if i could lend a hand and this is what we did
> ... except we didn't use a vice and used a regular framing hammer instead.
> The insert did eventually come out, though ... the shaft had a slight bend
> in it -- it was discolored around the middle of its stroke -- and this may
> have been part of the reason for the difficulty he experienced.
> BTW, these were the *original* inserts and the car has approx. 145k on it
> ... I suspect this must be a record (or at least it seems like to me, who
> usually considers any shock with more than 60k on it totally worn out!).
>      _             _
>     / l       l o l  \       l o   Jeffrey Goggin
>    /__l l l / l l l  l l l / l l   * * * * * * *
>   /   l l_l \_l l l__/ l_l \_l l   AudiDudi@delphi.com

Actually, Jeff, it is at 157,000 now :)
Here are some other things that are still original, or close:

Brakes  - Done at 105,000, still look like new now.
Exhaust - Original small hole at tail end of muffler,
                otherwise good.   The catalytic converter
                was replaced at 20K. (I melted the original
                down  ;)
Water Pump - Original
Bushings - Of course, and of course they really need to be replaced.

By the way, thanks for your help, "Tool Man".  Your tools and book
are ready and waiting.

A. D. Morris
Phoenix, AZ
1988 90Q