Re: twin turbos?

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996 ptimmerm@mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV wrote:

> Turbo Scott said wrt twn turbos....
> ...  Might want to look at the Lancia Rally car concept, it has
> more validity to the audi than a twin turbo would.....
> If I read him right, he is implying that the addition of a
> supercharger to the existing turbo system would be a better
> idea.  With other massive turbo apps like tractor pull rigs
> or hydroplanes, they run sequential with cooling at each
> stage.  So you compress, cool, compress again, cool again,
> then run it into the motor.  How about a g60 front ending
> a k26 derivative with stock intercooler plus another small
> one after the g60?  As scott is fond of saying its FLOW no
> pressure you want.  Who will be the first?

The trouble with a sequential setup like that is that you will always be
limited to the maximum flow capacity of the smallest Xcharger.  What we
want is a parallel system, in which the ECU can choose between a
supercharger (fro low RPM throttle response) OR a turbo charger (for high
rpm power)  The trick is being able to transition between the two systems
smoothly.  Not rocket science, but difficult nonetheless.

Graydon D. Stuckey
Flint, Michigan   USA
'86 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro, GDS Racing Stage II