[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]


Scott McPherson, srmcpher@syr.edu wrote:

>Ethylene glycol itself is not that toxic, the problem is that as soon as
>the stuff hits our kidneys it begins to get oxidized and one of the
>oxidation products is oxalic acid. The kidneys are severely damaged by the
>deposition of oxalate crystals.  Interestingly, the antidote for ethylene
>glycol poisoning is to drink an intoxicating dose of ethanol!  This is
>because ethanol effectively competes for the enzyme (alcohol
>dehydrogenase) that begins the oxidation of ethylene glycol.  The ethylene
>glycol is then excreted harmlessly.

Sounds like fun. I'm in!!!

Mark Eissler          | UNIX, DOS, oh and MacOS too.
tequila@interlog.com  | Why wouldn't a developer use 
                      | a Macintosh?
http://www.interlog.com/~tequila/  My hURL!!!!!!