Re: A4 1.8T testdrive

 Dan writes:

> On Oct 30,  9:22pm, Ti Kan wrote:
> > Perhaps the smooth and quiet of the 2.8 V6 deceived you into
> > thinking that it was slow, or perhaps the added noise of the
> > 1.8T made it seem faster...
> Exactly what I was thinking.  It's really amazing, how various
> sensory inputs contribute to the experience of speed.  I raced
> on a 40' sailboat for some pretty hairy races.  They'd be incredible
> noises, water breaking over the rail, etc.  Felt like we were
> flying, when in truth max speed was probably about 9 knots.
> Hop into a 40' powerboat and do 9 knots... it feels
> unbearably slow.
 Try it in a 19' Flying Dutchman dinghy - it's like doing 50mph
 in an Austin Healey with a rusted through floor pan :-)

 Removing soundproofing from a car used to be an easy "performance"
 upgrade for shops in Australia. Customer brings quiet car in for
 unspecified performance enhancements, drives away in noisier,
 must-be-faster car. Shop owner smilingly pockets cash.

Chris Palmer (1995.5 S6 Wagon)              "Ashes to ashes,
Data General Corporation                     dust to dust,
Enterprise Solutions Engineering Division    If Lillee don't get yer,
chris_palmer@dg.com                          Thommo must!"