[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Re: Anyone wanna entail the process of changing motor mounts?
In a message dated 96-11-06 10:56:49 EST, you write:
<< WOuld anyone like to entail the process (as the Bentley isn't great here)
changing motor mounts on a 5cyl 5 speed 88 90? TIA!
Pretty straight forward on the 5cyl....
* Car on ramps
* put a jack/stand on the motor as close to the mount as possible... If you
can't, I used a 2X4 from above with chain/rope (this keeps the motor from
stressing the opposite mount during swap, and keeps mount close to frame rail
to put on 15mm nuts)
* Remove upper mount nut (19mm I think) - may want to soak it a coupla days
with WD, it tends to catch water by design... Prollum is, if the mount is
spinning in the cup, might have some time getting nut off...
* Remove lower mount nuts (2X15mm) - engine is now hanging on your rope and
the trans mount only...
* Pull mount down and out....
* Install new mount from below, 15mm nuts on first
* Install top nuts, torque to spec
* Remove 2X4/jacks
* Off ramps....
TURBO CAR NOTE (and some 5k cyls with oil coolers): There is a asbestos hose
that goes from the oil cooler duct to the motor mount, if that is damaged or
missing, replace it, the part is less than 10USD... Beats 60++ for another
mount soon... that hose cools the mount from the exh/turbo components...