[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
TSB: New Coolant - all model years!!
Today I received a stack of TSBs in the mail, most of which are for the A4 and the A8. But, there is one that details a new coolant that Audi specifies is compatible for all models and model years. Below is what it says:
TSB Group 19 Number 96-01
A new coolant, G 012 A8D A1 is being used in production as of 08/96.
G 012 A8D A1 is red in color.
This newly developed product permits a cooling system fill that lasts the service life of the engine and was designed with all-aluminum engines in mind.
- Improved corrosion protection
- Improved thermal stability
- Improved heat transfer/control
- Improved hard water tolerance
- Improved environmental protection
G 012 18D A1 is the only coolant to be used in the Audi A8. Use of any other coolant will result in engine damage!!
G 012 A8D A1 must NEVER be mixed with ANY other coolant. Engine damage will result!!
Contamination of G 012 A8D A1 with other colored coolants is identifiable by discoloration (brown, purple etc.).This mixture causes a foamy deposit to appear in the expansion tank/radiator.
THIS MIXTURE IS TO BE DRAINED IMMEDIATELY AND THE COOLING SYSTEM FLUSHED AS DESCRIBED ON THE NEXT PAGE.
Engine at operating temperature (older vehicles with heater valve : heater on).
- Drain coolant - Repair Manual, General Engine, Repair Group 19
- Apply compressed air to expansion tank to blow out remaining coolant.
- Close cooling system, fill with distilled water.
- Run engine for a minimum of 2 minutes.
- Drain water and apply compressed air to expansion tank as before.
- Close cooling system and fill with appropriate mixture ratio of G 012 A8D A1 and distilled water - Repair Manual, General Engine, Repair Group 19
- Test drive, check coolant level and add if necessary.
G 012 A8D A1 COOLANT MAY BE USED IN OLDER VEHICLES WHEN THE ORIGINAL COOLANT IS DRAINED AND COOLING SYSTEM FLUSHED AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.
- Inform customer that a new coolant is used and that ONLY water or G 012 A8D A1 be used to replenish.
- Never reuse old coolant when performing engine repairs.
- Dispose of old coolant properly.
FLUSHING AS SPECIFIED ABOVE, OR ENGINE DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF A MIXTURE OF G 012 A8D A1 AND OTHER COOLANTS IS NOT COVERED BY THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY.
- Part numbers are for reference only. Always check with your Parts Dept. for the latest parts information.
"Perception is often stronger than reality!"