2wheel Drive Audi's

In message <328F3917.24E6@netten.net> mike tipton writes:

> I think Audi will remain for the 97 season with the 4wd's, we'll may see
> a 2wd version running and then Audi will bow out for 98!

The 1997 rules permit teams to run a third car.  This will undoubtedly be a FWD.

Audi's competitive advantage (and the reason we all drive them) is in the
transmission and suspension - not the engine.  F1 would not exploit their
strengths - rallying is too fragmented, exposed to the vagarities of luck, and
does not have a high enough consumer profile.

Audi will be there in 1998, and they will be competitive.  They have organised
their participation along lines that far exceed the efficiency of the military.

 Phil Payne