Re: '95 A4 Quattro using 1 qt oil/1000mi

At 10:34 AM 11/20/96 EST, Dan Masi wrote:
>On Nov 19,  6:21pm, Sander Pool wrote:
>> Subject: '95 A4 Quattro using 1 qt oil/1000mi
>> hello,
>> a good friend of mine bought a new A4 quattro last year.
>OK, since there's no '95 A4 in the US, I'm assuming that your
>friend is in the US and has a '96 A4Q, 2.8L V6.
>> After about half a year she noticed that the oil usage seemed
>> very high. After consistently checking it seems to have evened
>> out around one quart per 1000 miles. That sounds ludicrous to me
>> (and her) but the dealer maintains that it is within specs.
>That's a lotta oil.  I've heard that this engine can see that kind
>of oil usage *during break-in*, but if it continues beyond 7000
>miles or so, I'd think there's a problem.
>Dan Masi
>'96 A4Q
>oil usage, so far unmeasurable
This whole matter may bring us full circle to the question of changing the
oil during the breakin period.  Remember the post of the guy who worked at
the Euro-Audi engine rebuild center who said that excessive oil usage is
many times caused by improper break-in?  The question I would have is about
the first oil change and driving habits during break-in.  1 qt/1000 miles is

Achille Riviello
83 4000s, 200+k miles,
96 A4Q, 1054 miles,
HK P7M13
"In a world of compromise, some don't"--HK