[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]

Nixie tubes (was Re: Audi TDI)

On Nov 21, 10:25am, Peter Henriksen wrote:
> Subject: RE: Audi TDI

> Also, what are NIXIE displays?

	Jeez, you must be young :-) Nixie tubes are the display
	technology of the 60's and 70's, before LED's became
	viable.  They're somewhat similar to little neon lamps:
	there's a separate, number-shaped tube for each digit,
	and they're all stacked one behind the other. To display
	a particular digit, you just turn on the lamp shaped like

	Pretty cool-looking, especially the fact that the numbers
	travel up and down inside the tube :-)

	Oh, and they're all orange ...

	-Arun "No, I've never written a Nixie tube driver" Rao

Arun Rao
Pixar Animation Studios
Pt. Richmond, CA 94804
(510) 215-3526