quattro vs. traction control

In message <c=US%a=_%p=CHEVRON%l=CHEVRON/MSSITE01/000DD49F@chvpk-msx02-b.sr.chevron.com> "BRUCE, ERIK D.  -ERDB" writes:

> Actually, I'm sold on Audi anyway, but I'm curious if anybody knows how
> well "traction control" would do in snow, and specifically, does anybody
> have any knowledge of California's tire chain rules:  Does the
> combination of traction control and snow tires allow you to escape
> putting chains on?

It sucks.  My boss (in Germany) has the BMW traction control system and hates
it - it snatches quite viciously.  We were on the Pforzheim-Strassburg autobahn
last year when it started to snow in "heavy and wet" mode - our progress was
slow and punctuated by the traction control suddenly snapping into action and
basically killing engine torque completely.  There's much more fine control
with an AWD system.

 Phil Payne