Mechanics stories

Osman writes:

>Him:"Some cars use transmission fluid, others use differential fluid.
>     Your car is front wheel drive and THERFORE doesn't have a differential."

>[Jaw drop and big dumb look]
>Me: "Um.. no, this car is all wheel drive and has two differentials."

That reminds me of a time last year when I took my car to a frame shop
for a free estimate (had a coupon, made a mistake).  :(

They took the car for a test drive, then proceeded to stand on the brakes
while revving the engine and releasing the clutch.  I was somewhat...ummm...
upset (to put it civilized) at this.  Then they put the car up on a lift
to check it out.

First, they said it needed new motor mounts, because the engine torqued
too much.  Bummer, said I, since I just replaced both motor mounts less
than a month ago.  Oh, they replied, and scratched that off their invoice.

Then they said the left front wheel castor was incorrect.  "By how much
is it off?", I asked.  They came back with, "We don't know, but we do this
so much that we can tell just by looking at it."  Ya, right.

'85 Coupe GT
Eric J. Fluhr                                Email:  ejfluhr@austin.ibm.com
630FP Logic/Circuit Design                   Phone:  (512) 838-7589
IBM Microelectronics Div.                    Austin, TX