Sediment traps

The works and parts fiches for the ur-quattro (MB) show a sediment trap (which
Audi calls a fuel filter, just to confuse the unwary) in the line from the tank
to the _REAL_ fuel filter.

As part of my fuel system overhaul, I planned to replace mine and ordered (I
have it in my hand) a replacement 811 201 511D.  But on lifting the car - no
sediment trap.
There has obviously been one - the mounting lug is present, albeit amateurishly
bent up against the floorpan.  It is now bypassed by a single line going from
the tank to the fuel filter.
a) Anyone got a car with a sediment trap, at 140k miles, ca. 1988?
   What's in it - does it do something useful?
b) Has anyone seen a TSB saying: "Get rid of the trap?"
c) Any other questions you might think of answering without me taking the
   trouble to think them up?  (I know this list!)

 Phil Payne