Re: Euro bumper supports

>Does anyone have or know where I can get the European style bumper
>supports for an 83 Coupe GT?  OR

>Does anyone have a trick to tucking the US bumpers in close to the body?

Hmmm... it would be pretty easy to fake a few Euro bumper mounts IMO. The
Euro bumpers consist of the following:
-two 'arms' that go into the chassis outriggers, and are fastened under the
 by two bolts on either side
-a steel 'U' profile that's the basis of the bumper
-the plastic cover

The ends of the bumper that go around the corners, are fixed to the body by

In a bad schematic:

 |            |    'arms'
================ steel beam
 plastic cover clips over this bit

There's an '83 Coupe in our local scrapyard that still has both its bumpers
(although the covers a bit damaged I think), and removal would be pretty
easy, but I guess shipping will be expensive, not to mention hard because
of the rather unfriendly dimensions.

>The boys want to Europeanize their coupe gt and de-americanize the
>bumpers.......we've done it on the old Capri using the Euro bumper
>supports as were on the 72 Capri, but don't know where to get such for
>the Audi.....any help would be appreciated.

Uncontrollable itches every time I read about sub-$1000 4KQs...

PS Yes, the rear reflector bit with the fog lights is still there, but the
dash with all switches and most wiring has gone. Interior is mostly shot.

        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it,
       misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.
                                            -- Groucho Marx