$5000 oil leaks? 1992 100S -Reply

Your mechanic apparently graduated from your school and is giving you "the
business."  How much oil will $5k buy?  Just say NO!

Regards, Gross Scruggs
Never mind world peace...just visualize using your turn signals!

>>> Debu Purohit <purohit@haas.berkeley.edu> 04/18/97 02:33pm >>>
I have a 1992 100S with about 59K miles.  Over the last few months, I've noticed
a few oil drops on the street around where
I park.  I mentioned that to my mechanic when I went for an  oil change.  This
guy changed the oil and noted that there must be a leak because it was wet back
there.  But after  changing the oil and running it for half an hour, they
couldn't see any leaks.

A week later I thought I'd try the dealer and took my car over.  They hoisted it
and 20 mintes later told me I had five leaks - valley pan,  intake manifold,
valve cover gaskets, oil pump gasket-head gasket, oil pan gasket-flywheel seal.
Estimated cost to repair was $5,000!

How come all these leaks were so obvious to the dealer but not to my mechanic?
Any thoughts on all this?

Thanks very much.

                                                               Debu Purohit
                                    Haas School of Business
   University of California                          Berkeley, CA 94720-1900

off (510) 642-4789 fax (510) 643-1420 http://haas.berkeley.edu/~market/