oil leak $5000

In message <9704212055.AA08352@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> "Grant Lenahan" writes:

> As usual, Phil's advice is great.  If you really want to fix it.
> Now to the real quetsion.  Why do you care?
> Is it leaving enough oil to be a mess?  Using enough oil
> to lower the level quickly?

BTDT - today!
The Coupe GT has a _tiny_ leak.  Literally one or two spots every time it stops.
We haven't had it long - it's an 85 engine in an 83 shell, concocted by John
Coughtrie and we paid GBP500 ($800) plus an ur-quattro tie rod.  The leak
didn't bother me - but Sarah drives it to work and it seems to bother _THEM_.
So I thought I'd fix it, and ordered the parts.  I saw John a day or two later,
and mentioned this.  "Yes," he said, "but I've never found it a nuisance and it
keeps the bulk of the underside of the car free of corrosion."
He's right, really.  The oil loss is negligible.  Why care?

 Phil Payne