Transmission noise '90V8Q

 -=> Quoting Christopher Olson <=-

 CO> I recently began hearing a harsh metallic buzzing in my transmission
 CO> when I start up. I had it checked and found that the transmission
 CO> fluid was black and possibly had never been flushed in 88K miles.

     Have you placed the Q on a lift when cold and checked the noise?
     Noises can be amazingly deceptive sometimes until you isolate
     the area they're coming from. About a month after I bought my
     V8Q I got a low "buzz" from the tranny too, somewhat metallic.
     To make a long story short, the noise was being caused by bad
     motor mounts causing low frequency vibrations which caused
     something (to this day I don't know what) to "buzz" when the
     car was cold.  I accidentally found this out when I decided to
     check out mounts, bushings etc. with a pry bar.

     Tranny fluid color: I vaguely remember reading somewhere that
     the color of the tranny fluid isn't an indicator of anything.

 CO> The transmission functions better now but it seems the

     Better than what? What is/was it doing? Is the indicator
     working normally? Does the S/M/E switch work?

 CO> T-fluid pump starving for fluid. He suggests that it would be
 CO> relatively easy and cheap to try changing the filter.  Does anyone have
 CO> another opinion?

     It might be worth taking the car to someone who specializes in
     Euro Automatics (especially BMW) to do the fluid change and
     poke around while there.

... Why be politically correct when you could be right?
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30