4ksq: Center Bearing

I have a '85 4ksq with 130,000mi on the clock.  I have owned the car for
2 years and it has always had a high pitch, speed dependent whine that is
readily apparent at speeds over 45mph or so.  It hasn't gotten any worse
or any better over time.  I suspect that it could be the center bearing.
Is there a test or a spec for the center bearing?  How difficult are they
to replace?

CV joints, brakes, all seem to be OK.  The whine persists with the clutch
engaged, disengaged, gear box in neutral, or in any gear.

All replies appreciated,
Mark A. Engebretson
Trimble Navigation Ltd.