What is a bomb?

I have read in the qlist many references to a "bomb". Pardon my
ignorance but what is it? Does it have to do with the brakes?

My 90q20v makes a funny humming sound sometimes when I press the brake
pedal and it goes soft for a few seconds.

The brake light used to stay on in the morning and go out after about 15
sec. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a faulty pressure accumulator.
They replaced it, the brake light does not go out, but the above humming
and soft brake pedal still happens occasionally.

What is causing this?

Thanks, Sean
Sean Douglas
1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V