Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:46:35 -0600 (MDT)
From: Richard Loken <tech@cs.athabascau.ca>
Subject: Re: H4 vs. DOT Re: Pictures tell all

Richard Loken <tech@cs.athabascau.ca> via SWEDISHBRICKS@SHORE.NET writes
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Daniel J. Stern/L3ALS wrote:

> "Daniel J. Stern/L3ALS" <dastern@ursula.uoregon.edu> via
> On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Ed Saxman wrote:
> > After the recent discussion about the merits of European headlights
> > U.S. headlights, I felt the call to scan in some pictures of
> > patterns. We can brag all we want, but when you see these pictures
> > truth comes out more 'clearly'.
> > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bacaruda/lights.htm

I finally went and looked.  Nice job Ed, now we need a set of Hella
4X6 replacement lamps up there for comparison.  Get a few list members
to run
by your garage with some other headlight samples!

> 3) Even with black and white PROOF that the E-code beam is better, the
> in charge of US headlamp specs still insists that the DOT sealed beam
> the pinnacle of lighting technology, that E-codes have "no safety
> advantage because the seeing distance is less" and claims that those
> retrofit their cars with the E-codes are "just trying to look

Here I am in Canada where decent lights are not illegal but still not

We live in the bush and one consistant hazard is altercations with deer
moose.  When we bought the 82 245 my wife's first complaint was that she
driving in a tunnel, especially on low beam, and she could not see into
ditches.  A set of 4X6 H4 Hella replacements fixed that problem nicely.
jury is out on the V90's glass 9004 (or whatever they are) moulded
lights -
they sure aren't as bad as the sealed beam 4X6's but the sun was setting
midnight when we bought the car so there hasn't been enough night
driving to
make a reasonable evaluation.

To me the proof is there for all to see and Mr DOT lighting man can take
flying leap at a rolling doughnut.

  Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath
  Athabasca University				   : tuques we wear, our
  Athabasca, Alberta Canada			   : are naked!"