RE: Atf cooler prices?

Well, it might go bad for any reason radiators go bad: time combined
with bad luck, neglected cooling system, or (most probably) Audi Gods
had a bad day :-) I've recently had the ATF cooler on my mother's
Renault repaired (luckily it was just leaking coolant outside). This is
the first time I hear about this part going bad on an Audi, though, so
my conclusion is that they are generally durable units. You may want to
find a used one then (I've heard that there's plenty of Audis with
broken slushboxes on US junkyards).

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)