RE: You're-a-peein' lights?

The main difference between euro and US headlamps is that on euro
headlamps all the light is directed right where you need it - onto the
road. On US headlamps, depending on car brand/model, usually some of the
light is wasted on illuminating peaks of the trees (and blinding
oncoming drivers as a side effect). The bulb wattage only tells you how
much power it draws, which doesn't have direct conversion to brightness
(only a fraction of this energy is converted into light, the rest is
wasted as heat) For example, Philips has recently introduced a new H4
bulb that is promised to be 20% or so more bright while still having the
same wattage (55/60W) as conventional ones. I don't have any
comparisions between H4 and US bulbs of the same wattage, though.

Aleksander Mierzwa
Warsaw, Poland
87 Audi 5000CS turbo (mine)
88 Renault Medallion wagon (mom's)