Intercooler Cleaning

In message <19971022181226.LCEW14116@[]> Mark Pollan writes:

> With all this talk about oil on the intake system, how would one go
> about cleaning all that crud out of the intercooler?  It has to be
> affecting efficiency to some degree.

A professional degreaser.  Most serious shops will have one.

> Also, I just got off the phone with VW Parts about fuel injectors. I
> asked Eric about the viton tipped that apparently superseded the metal
> tipped ones. He said the viton rubber referred only to the o-ring and
> there is just one shrouded injector type. What am I missing as I just
> recently received what look like metal tipped. The part I received was
> 035 135 551C. I recall a different part number of 035 135 551F for the
> new ones.

Eric is possibly much more confused than you are.

Audi issued a "Technisches Merkblatt zum Reparaturleitfaden" in June 1991
detailing the part numbers for Viton-tipped injectors.
Low pressure:  035 133 551 was replaced by 026 133 551.
High pressure: 035 133 551C was replaced by 035 133 551F.

Both are normally shipped with shrouds fitted.  For unshrouded applications,
the shrouds should be carefully removed.

 Phil Payne