Re: Heat shield

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 19:49:06 -0400 (EDT) "Shane Allen Snyder"
<snyders2@pilot.msu.edu> writes:
>I am replacing the rear muffler on my 86 4kcsq.  I noticed the
>aluminum heat
>shield is falling off.  Is that thing important?  Any ideas how to
>repair it if
>it is important?
>*---> Shane Snyder (snyders2@pilot.msu.edu) <---*
If it were me, I'd have my brother TIG the aluminum back together.  My
is that your brother doesn't have a TIG welder but you may be able to
find a
welding shop with a MIG or TIG that would be willing to weld it for you.
shields are rarely there for good looks although sometimes are to keep
from lighting the prairie on fire when you park in the pasture to relieve
or to catch your horse.  Trust yourself.  Is it protecting anything from
lighting on
fire or getting too hot, such as fuel or brake lines?
Sorry I'm not much help.  I'm not familiar with your particular car.

Paul Anderson, Cheyenne, WY  87 5000SQ, 85 5000S, 84 5000CST,
                                                         82 VW Quantum,
78 Fiat Spider