[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]

Bentley --> Heat Riser/Plug !?

Since I haven't received any replies regarding this, can anyone please
their Bentley to see if it has any information ?  Thanks.

> ----------
> From: 	Mittal, Vikram (SUPP)
> Sent: 	Monday, October 27, 1997 11:58 AM
> To: 	'quattro'
> Subject: 	Heat Riser/Plug !?
> When I started my 1990 100 yesterday,  I felt that there was more
> noise
> than usual coming from the catalytic convertor area.  
> Suspecting a leak I took it to my local muffler guy who put it on the
> lift.  
> What we found is that there is a small tube on the cat. itself
> pointing to 
> the back of the car.  Some amount of exhaust gases are being 
> expelled through this.
> Now I am not sure if this is correct or not.  The muffler guy assures
> me 
> that this is something to do with the engine and can only be fixed by 
> an Audi dealer. Additionally,  he refer's to it as a "heat riser/plug"
> !?
> I am surprised that I have never heard of such a thing and also that
> my 
> muffler guy was actually turning away business saying that only a
> dealer
> can do this.
> Can anybody shed some light on this ?  I am going to continue using 
> my car as if nothing is wrong.  Is this a good idea ? The car has 104K
> miles on it and the original exhaust system and oxy sensor.
> TIA.
> Regards,
> Vikram.