RE: Dead Ur-Q ; Electrical

"Ian J Haseltine" <Jim_Haseltine@classic.msn.com> wrote:

>>Changing the alternator ($70! rebuilt) in the office car
>>park (with hardly any tools) in 6" of snow and -15C was the most
>>unpleasant job I have ever performed on an Audi

>Try a one-man Ford Sierra clutch replacement, outside in North Yorkshire
>dark in January - BTDT (twice). At least the effort of lifting the gearbox
>my chest a number of times did its bit trying to keep me warm, unfortunately
>it wasn't very successful.

Or replacing the rear hatch of my '82 Opel Kadett, in December, finishing
pushing the rear screen in at about 1:30AM and finding out that your hands
have frozen to the screen? (No, the demister still didn't work!)

Or replacing a '73 MG BGT head gasket in February, in a torrential rain,
because the car is needed desperately the next morning, ending up with
chattering teeth even after 25 mins of hot shower, and a painful ribcage
(from leaning over the front wing) that lasted for at least a week? (only
to learn that next week it's time to replace the propshaft bearings, and
it's _still_ raining)

Or trying to repair accident damage to a '90 VW Golf, and having a really
hard time getting the front wing off because at -10 C the underbody sealant
is rock-hard, and you keep on losing your tools in the snow?

Gee, it's fun to do your own repairs!

1988 Audi 80 1.8S, mostly Tizianrot metallic, 214,000km

    Time is the best teacher.  Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
                                        -- Hector-Louis Berlioz