Re: Trip to Mexico Report (no Audi, some VW content)

Rob Winchell <rbw@avs.com> wrote:

> There was VW that seemed to be
>quite popular called the "Derby". It looked like a baby-Passat and looked
>like a new model in the last couple years.

We used to have a Polo sedan called 'Derby' here- it lasted from 1976 to
1982(?) and was called 'Polo Classic' after that. It never became a huge
hit (small cars are supposed to be hatchbacks here), and Derbys are quite
rare nowadays. I came close to owning a 1977 example (asking price $150) as
my first car, in fact. The deal fell through when some unexpected large
'ventilation apertures' in the metalwork were discovered. Instead, I went
for a $250 1980 Jetta- the stuff dreams are made off ;-). In fact, I'm
still undecided as to which car would've been the ugliest- the metallic
brown Derby or the beige Jetta.

1988 Audi 80 1.8S, mostly Tizianrot metallic, 214,000km

    Time is the best teacher.  Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
                                        -- Hector-Louis Berlioz