'87 Coupe brake strangeness

In message <9712011541.AA24786@fluhr.austin.ibm.com> ejfluhr@austin.ibm.com (Fluhr) writes:

> 1) The brake pedal is really, really soft.  It will depress around 3"
>    before you feel any braking.  After that, pedal resistance feels normal
>    and the brakes work fine (excepting the front-rear proportioning problem).
>    "Pumping" the brake pedal does not improve their feel.

We had an ur-quattro like this a few weeks ago, at the Area E meeting.

It turned out that it _had_ been bleed - but the wheels were not done in the
proper order.  There's also a 'distribution valve' below the master cylinder,
that has to be bleed separately.
On the ur-q, the order is:
     Left rear
     Right rear
     Left front
     Right front
Another possibility is that the locknut on the actuating rod from the clevis to
the servo has worked loose.

 Phil Payne