Engine Still Knocking 4kq

In message <0716D052C1CFD0119D280060979FBE9A141BAB@a1.matrix.com.pl> Aleksander Mierzwa writes:

> You say that the noise seems to be coming from the cylinders, but the
> arrow on the picture points to the valve cover. If the noise comes from
> the top of the engine, I would suspect dead hydraulic tappet. If it
> comes from the cylinder area, you may have piston problem. The vacuum
> pump is a good suspect, too.

> > From:	David Thoresen

> > I checked everything and the knocking is getting worse... even when
> > idling and standing still it will make a knocking noise, it seems to
> > be coming from the cylinders around the middle of the engine...

Even a dying hydraulic lifter should go quiet after two minutes at 3000 rpm.

If it does, and then the noise gradually starts to fade in and out again at
idle, it's a dying lifter. If it doesn't even go quiet for a moment, I'd go
with the pump.  Remove the rod to check.  If it isn't the pump, I'd go for a
_completely_ dead lifter.  Gudgeon pin knock (little end knock) is IME
extremely rare on I5s.

(I _know_ two minutes is a long time to rev a stationary engine, but that's
 what the factory specifies as the test.  If you're starting from cold, the
 cooling fan should run once before you raise revs to 3000.)

 Phil Payne