[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
My QSW: It's Alive!!
- To: The Quattro List <email@example.com>, DEREK DAILY <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Steven Maier <email@example.com>, ccim <firstname.lastname@example.org>, dreux Namnoun <email@example.com>, brazil <firstname.lastname@example.org>, lester <email@example.com>, tking_ms <firstname.lastname@example.org>, rodavies <email@example.com>, mark_hurston <firstname.lastname@example.org>, tbednark <email@example.com>, doussia <firstname.lastname@example.org>, mark <email@example.com>, dennisd <firstname.lastname@example.org>, mbrenengen <email@example.com>, kcloh <firstname.lastname@example.org>, sfibre <email@example.com>, DaveS <DaveS@kgw.com>, crottya <firstname.lastname@example.org>, johnredm <email@example.com>, swiller <firstname.lastname@example.org>, shenck <email@example.com>, cdg100 <firstname.lastname@example.org>, dcummins <dcummins@RohmHaas.com>, ddaily <ddaily@SMTPGW.MITSUICOMTEK.COM>, bwhite <email@example.com>, justin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: My QSW: It's Alive!!
- From: Jim Griffin <JGriff@pobox.com>
- Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 21:46:40 -0500
- Reply-To: JGriff@pobox.com
- Sender: email@example.com
Believe it or not, the saga has ended. I picked up my QSW last night.
The repair shop guy was gracious enough to let me have it, despite his
not yet getting paid. The insurance company is sending him a check
for.... (drum roll please...)... $1900!! Yowza!!
The insurance adjuster/appraiser ended up finding a used subframe up in
VT. The "donor" car was true and straight... it had been driven in to
wherever he got it from. All in all, here's what had to be replaced:
- rear subframe (used) - $500
- right rear control arm (used) - $150
- bearing (new) - $96
- hub (new)- ?? (Was able to reuse NTB's second one (they butchered the
- right rear axle assembly (new) - $344
Total labor: $ 700
Amazing... simply amazing.
So that's what happens when you cross-thread and break off a bolt, and
hack away at trying to fix it with common hand tools (i.e. Porta-press,
big hammers, big sockets, big crowbars etc...). I guess it goes without
saying that the "boys" down at NTB learned a big lesson, eh?
Oh, and yes, I did call and request a refund of the original wheel
balancing charge (for all four wheels). The manager didn't give me a
hard time about that. After all, it is the least they could do.
Needless to say, I am happy to have it back. I took it for a 240 mile
(round) trip for work today, and it was just fine. No problems. I found
that it cruises at 80 mph + very nicely. Now all I need is some snow!!
So, I wish to again thank EVERYONE for their kind words of wisdom,
sympathy, empathy, and support. I don't think I could have made it
without this wonderful group. Thanks so very much... it is greatly
With that in mind, in the same spirit of gratitude and good cheer, I
will take this time to wish everyone a Happy Holiday season, and a Happy
New Year!! Cheers!! (as I raise my glass... <klink> ).
"Perception is often stronger than reality!"
'92 Audi 100S
'87 VW Quantum Syncro