Re: Squealin'

Well, I've done several posts about squealing and whistling to this
list and haven't managed to find info or someone who matches my
problem. My 200T (2226 I5 turbo) used to have a huge whistle
when moving off in the mornings from cold start, I attributed this
to the fat slash in my Y-tube on the idle stabiliser. The whistle
has gone now, but when I'm moving (usually around 60kph) there is
a squeal from somewhere on the car. It sounds like it is coming
from the front right side of the engine (turbo side) on my RHD car.
When I slow down to a stop the whistling goes away. The whistle isn't
constant. Sometimes it vanishes. It tends to vary in pitch as well
and will jump sporadically between the levels of irritance. I can't
say from within the car where it is coming from exactly. I even
thought that it was body-whistle from a mis-aligned panel since it
happens at speed. I check, but no panel has moved out of synch  since
I had the car and the sound has only been going for the last 2 months

Any suggestions? Could this be the alternator (which tends to grind
a bit) or is it the turbo? I got some info from someone to check
the turbo, but I'd like more details to follow in order to pin this
thing down.

"a thousand miles from here, there is another person smiling"
1990 Turbo (200T)
name   : gerard van vught
tel    : +27-57-912 2658 (w) / 082 923 9609 (cell)
url    : http://www.acenet.co.za/homepages/gerard/
e-mail : gerard@poboxes.com  / han.solo@galaxycorp.com
         gerard@acenet.co.za / van_vught@frg.issi.co.za