Re: Vehicle shaking on acceleration. CV joints???

> Symptom of worn outer CV joints - clicking noise, starting when the
> steering wheel is turned, as the wear progresses, clicking when

No clicking as such. When accellerating I can turn slightly right and
off the driveline and the shudder will reduce.

> Symptom of bad inner CV joints (quattro : propellor shaft CV joints as
> well) - shaking on acceleration.
> Remember the inner CV joints are designed to allow lateral movement of
> the axle shaft, the outers are not, but are designed to run at greater
> angles of deflection.  Because of this, they show different wear
> symptoms.  I have never seen worn inner CV joints show any other
> symptoms (while driving) than shaking (or shuttering) on acceleration.

With the car in drive (auto tranny it is) and standard dead still there
is a bit of rumble going through the car. Could this be put down to the
CV joint or would the rumble (absolutely nothing compared to the
accelleration stuff) be from a possibly warn engine/tranny mount?
Would a warn inner CV joint that causes such shuddering also play
havoc with the steering? I can be driving along and the wheels will
decide to go opposite directions, so it will be a bit of a fight to
hold the car in line. Supposedly the steering thing could be my warn
shocks. (Damn, does anything work or last on my car?)

> BTW, most (all that I have seen) CV joints come with instructions that
> insist only CV joint grease be used.  CV joint grease is specifically
> formulated for its task.  It has a high lead contact to deal with the
> high pressures/low movement the bearings encounter.  I have not had as
> much durability testing experience of CV joints as the manufacturers,
> so I cannot dispute their recommendations. :)

The NAPA people stock lots of the stuff. I'd probably just grab any
make, not that I'd be the one to pull the CV joint and do the work as
I don't know what tools are needed and how complex the job might be
for my little, impatient brain.

"a thousand miles from here, there is another person smiling"
1990 Turbo (200T)
name   : gerard van vught
tel    : +27-57-912 2658 (w) / 082 923 9609 (cell)
url    : http://www.acenet.co.za/homepages/gerard/
e-mail : gerard@poboxes.com  / han.solo@galaxycorp.com
         gerard@acenet.co.za / van_vught@frg.issi.co.za