Re: was Re: Weepy Head Gskt Fix!is stretch bolt defence clamping methods,

In message <> Avi writes:

> BTW, did you "really" know that stretch bolts (on heavy duty application)
> are installed via a portable hydraulic press?...... the press is put on the
> stud (not bolt), stretch the stud and you put on the nut finger tight, you
> release the press and "voila" perfect torque.....

I've seen a Rolls Royce engineer bolt up a head with a dial gauge on the end of
the stud.  I also went on a short course as a rally mechanic with British
Leyland where they showed us how misleading torque wrench readings can be with
dirty threads: +/- 1/3rd or more!

 Phil Payne