Re: was Re: Weepy Head Gskt Fix!is stretch bolt defence clamping methods,

In message <01bd13d6$3e66de60$082c460c@yo> "Mik Tip" writes:

> I have worked on engines(VW & Audi)where the OEM bolts can be removed by
> hand!

Yup, so have I.  Well, you have to stick the 12-point into the bolt head - but
you can turn the driver by hand.  Especially between #4 and #5 cylinder.

> Attributed to factors inherant to the stretch bolts, combined with the
> continual heating &
> cooling, along with the different rates of expansion and contraction between
> the
> aluminum head and steel block!

I've never seen a safe attribution other than failure of re-used head bolts.

> The only way to correctly "fix" the weeping gasket, is to change it!

Amen to that.  And the bolts, please.

> Installing the OEM bolts "may" allow the same problem to re-occur
> later on in the engines life.   But most folk's dont keep a car that long!

Fresh bolts should be good for up to 250000km - that's the (apparent) design

> The Raceware's are an "improved alternative" to the OEMS, but at
> a price!

So far all of my experience with stock Audi engines is that stock parts are
best.  Yes - deviate from the specification and you will need to change some of
the technology.  Stay with stock (design) performance profiles and stock
components are far superior.

 Phil Payne